Each lesson plan, suitable for grades 3-9, informs students about an important piece of their community and regional economy.
- Lesson Plan Overview
- Cargo & Ports
- Cruise in Saint John
- Dredging & Environment
- Glossary of Port Industry Terminology
To learn more about the program, contact Paula Copeland.
Each year the port installs a giant Christmas tree at long wharf that is made up of hundreds of colourful light bulbs. Every $2 donation lights a bulb, and as December progresses the tree lights up bulb-by-bulb. Once the financial goal has been met, the star on top of the tree is lit for all to see.
PALS @ the Port
Visible actions of Port Saint John support are our annual ‘back to school’ and food drives, as well as the direct contributions from proceeds of Port Days each year.
Saint John Seafarers Mission
In addition to these charities, the seafaring community who are working on every vessel in the inner and outer harbour are a focus of Port Saint John charitable giving in both time and resources through the Saint John Seafarers Mission.
Being a seafarer can be difficult due to the long periods away from home and family, as well as the isolation from onshore amenities. At the Saint John Seafarers Mission, mariners of all races and creeds can relax away from their ships.
Donations can be made to the Saint John Seafarer's Mission here.
Port City Champ Storybook
Champ loves reading so much that all proceeds from Port City Champ sales go towards the Saint John Free Public Library. Books are $4.99 each and can be purchased at the Butcher’s Daughter in the Saint John City Market.
Port City Champ was created in 2014 by writer Hilary Paige Smith and illustrator Holly DeWolf.
Sponsorship & Donation Requests
- Address root causes of poverty to children and families in neighborhoods surrounding the harbour;
- Focus on education, particularly projects relating to raising awareness of marine and logistics industry careers or entrepreneurship;
- Programs that raise awareness of environmental protection or restoration and beautification of natural environments; and
- Initiatives in support of community enhancement that benefit both local residents and cruise tourism.